Trump says he’s delaying nationwide operation to remove immigrants illegally in US
WASHINGTON (AP): President Donald Trump says he is delaying a nationwide sweep to deport people living in the U.S. illegally.
He said in a tweet Saturday he would delay for two weeks to give lawmakers time to discuss border solutions.
Three administration officials told The Associated Press the operation had been canceled because details had leaked in the media and officer safety could be jeopardized. The officials were not authorized to speak publicly on the operation and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The operation was expected to begin Sunday and would have targeted people with final orders of removal, including families whose immigration cases had been fast-tracked by judges.
Trump announced Monday on Twitter that the sweep would be the start of an effort to deport millions of people in the country illegally, a near-impossibility given limited resources of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which makes the arrests and carries out deportation orders.
It’s also slightly unusual to target families — as opposed to immigrants with criminal histories — but not unprecedented. The Obama and Trump administrations have targeted families in previous operations.
Published Date: Saturday, June 22nd, 2019 | 12:47 PM