Mainali ‘so happy’ to see family again
The Yomiuri Shimbun: Following his release from prison the previous day, Govinda Prasad Mainali met with his family Friday and said he looks forward to returning home to Nepal with them to get on with his life.
After 15 years in jail, Mainali was reunited with his wife and two daughters Friday at an immigration facility after the Tokyo High Court granted him a retrial over the murder of an employee of Tokyo Electric Power Co. in 1997.
The Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau is in the process of having Mainali deported. He will likely depart for Nepal in a few days at the earliest.
After Thursday’s retrial decision, Mainali, 45, was released from a Yokohama prison and transferred to the bureau’s branch in Yokohama.
Keita Miyamura, a lawyer who met Mainali in the branch office Friday, quoted him as saying: “I was relieved by the [high court’s] decision. I want to express my gratitude to all the people who supported me.”
The lawyer said Mainali was looking forward to his departure. “I want to go back to Nepal as soon as possible and see my mother,” Mainali was quoted as saying.
Regarding the Tokyo High Public Prosecutors Office’s filing of its objection to the high court decision, Mainali said, “Haven’t prosecutors given up yet?” according to the lawyer.
The lawyer said Mainali told him: “I can’t get back the 15 years [since he was arrested]. I want to live my future life in a forward-looking manner and as best as I can.”
After meeting with the lawyer, Mainali met his wife and two daughters. “My husband was smiling and looked so happy. He said he felt good because he will be able to return home,” his wife Radha said.
“Instead of me asking him how he was, he asked me, ‘Are you fine?’ I’m overjoyed, because our purpose in coming to Japan was fulfilled,” she said.
Radha, 42, said she gave her husband a shirt, a tie and shoes to wear when he departs for home.
Mainali’s elder daughter, Mithila, 20, said, “I’m excited, because we will be able to bring dad home with us earlier than we expected.”
Minister: Probe ‘inadequate’
At a press conference after Friday’s Cabinet meeting, Justice Minister Makoto Taki said the investigation had been “inadequate.”
“If there is another person who committed the crime, a proper investigation must be conducted,” Taki said.
His remark will likely cause shockwaves, as prosecutors in the case have presented objections to the decision because they still believe Mainali was the perpetrator.
Regarding criticism that the amount of evidence disclosed in the trial was insufficient, the minister said, “The prosecution authorities will need to reexamine this issue.”
Published Date: Friday, June 8th, 2012 | 11:03 AM